Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Chai-Spiced Butternut Squash Soup With Apple Cream recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups butternut squash, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fennel
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- First, make the apple cream: combine the crème fraiche, apple cider and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate to allow the flavors to combine.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir in cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and cardamom.
- Cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Stir in butternut squash, fennel, chicken stock and apple cider.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook until the butternut squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Take from heat and let cool.
- Blend the soup in small batches until a smooth puree is obtained. Return to pot and stir in milk and salt.
- Bring soup to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more spice if desired. Serve soup with a generous drizzle of apple cream.
I really like the flavor of this soup. It had a good combination of squash, spice and apple. My only complaint was that it took a lot longer than 15 minutes to cook the squash. I make a lot of squash soup, so I'm sure to make this one again.