This is another recipe that I found in a Betty Crocker cookbooklet. The recipe makes a light loaf of bread with a delicious cinnamon glaze. It can be served as a snack or dessert with some fresh fruit, a wedge of cheese and a glass of iced tea (or if you prefer, a cup of hot tea). Note: water can be substituted for the chai tea.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup chai tea
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 -5 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a 9" loaf pan with cooking spray (I use Pam).
- Combine the sugar and butter in a large bowl.
- With a mixer, beat on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add in eggs, tea, milk and vanilla.
- Reduce speed on the mixer to low and mix the ingredients well (the mixture will appear to be curdled).
- Add in the remaining bread ingredients.
- Mix just until moistened and spread in the loaf pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
- Cool 30 minutes before glazing.
- To prepare the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla and 3 t milk in a small bowl.
- Add additional milk in small amounts until the glaze is spreadable.
- Spread the glaze on the bread and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cool for 2 hours before slicing the bread.
- This may be stored at room temperature tightly wrapped for 4 days.
- This may be refrigerated for up to 10 days.
I absolutely love this bread! It tastes and smells amazing and I will definitely make it again! Thanks so much!
Nice bread, DG! Very soft flavors, moist center with a crunchy crust. I didn't use the glaze, just butter. I had some chai latte so I used that for the tea & the milk. Smells wonderful when baking! We had it for dessert, a bedtime snack & I had more for breakfast. Thanks!
Excellent flavor and sold 3 loaves at our church bake sale with all three ladies coming back and asking for the recipe!