Recipe by MARIA MAC *
I haven't tried this yet but they sound really good and I bet would go nice with a cup of Chia Tea. Work time does not include chilling time. Amount is an estimate depending on the size you make the cookies.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 medium vanilla bean (or 1tbsp. vanilla extract)
- colored crystal sugar, and prepared frosting for decorating
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, allspice and cardamom; set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar and salt in large bowl. Using an electric mixer or wooden spoon, beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Using a small knife, split the vanilla bean in half, lengthwise. Scrape the seeds from both sides of the pod with the tip of the knife and add them to the butter-sugar mixture; beat to combine. Add in flour-spice mixture, 1 cup at a time, blending until fully incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least one hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove and unwrap 1/2 the dough on a lightly-floured surface. Roll out to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and transfer to prepared baking sheets. Roll out scraps and repeat with remaining dough, re-chilling as necessary.
- Sprinkle with decorative colored sugar if desired; bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Cool on sheets or wire racks, frost if desired.
- Store in airtight container for up to one week.