Fragrant with the classic flavors of chai tea, these buttery, crumbly cookies are perfect for dunking in a cup of tea or coffee. From Whole Foods Market website, you can make these gluten-free as well, using blanched almond flour or a gluten-free all-purpose flour mix.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Beat butter with granulated sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in flour, spices and salt until just combined.
- Scoop and roll dough into small teaspoon-sized balls and place about an inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on the sheet for 5 minutes. Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar and let cool completely on a rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
- NOTE: if using a gluten-free flour, please follow your package directions for adding xanthum gum.