Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These are on the spicy side, which means they are not for everyone. I love the combination of spicy and complex with sweet and airy. Also they are fat free. This is Diana Rosen's recipe.
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Add all the egg whites to an electric mixer bowl, and on low, whip into a froth. Then turn the machine to high and beat into firm peaks.
- Add the sugar slowly to the egg whites while maintaining high speed, then turn the mixer off and fold in the spices by hand.
- Drop in little spoonfuls onto the baking sheet and bake for 90 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues inside until it is completely cool.
- Store meringues in an airtight container.
Chai is one of my favorite drinks so i always enjoy anything that uses chai spices. I substituted 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice for the cloves and added a little bit of fresh cracked black pepper because I like my chai a little spicier :). These were very good.