Recipe by - Carla -
Chai is basically black tea brewed with selected spices and milk. This is the most commonly used traditional recipe of the classic Indian spiced tea. Chai tastes are personal and the making of chai requires experimenting with different amounts of spices, milk and ingredients to discover the specific blend of spices to suit your tastes. Be sure to use black tea for this recipe, not green or some other specialized variety.
Top Review by lemoncurd
A lovely tasting chai. I scaled it down to 1 serving. I made it as is except I left the pepper out and lighly crushed the clove with the back of a spoon. Next time i will add much more spice and still leave out the pepper. Thanx for a lovely warming drink.
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 3 black tea bags
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed in a mortar
- 2 whole black peppercorns, crushed in a mortar
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
- 2 cloves
- sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Once water begins to boil add the cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, ginger (if using) and cloves.
- Simmer over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add milk.
- Add black tea bags and simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until the desired strength of tea is reached.
- Strain, serve and enjoy!
- If you would like to sweeten things up a bit, add enough sugar (or sugar substitute) to suit your taste.