Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a tasty way to enjoy the flavor of true Indian Chai in the summertime! I prefer skim milk and half-and-half so it's not so heavy, but you're free to use whole milk and cream if you like.
- In a medium-sized pot, place 1/2 of the sugar, the tea and spices (spice amounts may be adjusted to your taste). Add the milk and stir well. Boil gently for about 5 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced minimally.
- While the tea is warming, whisk together egg yolks, remaining sugar, and pinch of salt.
- Pour the chai mixture slowly through a seive into the eggs, whisking vigorously (otherwise the eggs will curdle).
- Return the mixture to the pot (after removing chai sediment). Heat the custard, stirring gently, until about 170 degrees F. Monitor carefully, as the eggs will scramble if too hot!
- Place pan in an ice-bath to cool quickly, then cool in the refridgerator for about an hour.
- Transfer to ice-cream maker and freeze according to directions.
- If using, stir in chocolate chips near the end of the freezing process.