Recipe by Makwa
Flavorful hot drink and also works with Bergy's Iced Chai Yum!
Top Review by Baby Kato
I enjoyed this chai tea very much, Makwa. I slightly crushed and bruised the cardamom seeds, fennel seeds, whole cloves, sliced ginger and the peppercorns with my motar and pestle before using. I used oloong tea and orange blossom honey but omitted the milk, its a personal preference only. I find that honey always enhances the flavour of the tea by bringing out all the individual flavours. Thanks so much for sharing.
- 3 cups water
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 6 -8 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons black tea leaves (or your favorite tea) or 2 tea bags (or your favorite tea)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- use mild honey or sugar, to sweeten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan,boil the water and spices until the liquid has reduced to 2 cups,10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the tea-and steep for 4 to 5 minutes. Strain the tea and discard the leaves and spices,and return the tea to the saucepan. Add the milk and heat to boiling. Add sweetener to taste and serve.
- (total time 20 minutes).