Tasty drink from the Seattle Times. You can use rum or brandy extract for the flavoring, if you do not want to the alcohol. Cook time does not include 2 hour chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups milk, divided (2% works best)
- 3 1/2 inches cinnamon sticks, smashed using the side of a knife
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 10 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed (or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom)
- kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- brandy (optional) or rum (optional)
- nutmeg, grated, to garnish
- 1In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 ½ cups of the milk with the cinnamon, vanilla bean, cloves, peppercorns, ginger, cardamom pods and a hefty pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then turn off the heat and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- 2Strain the mixture through a sieve, discarding all of the solids except for the vanilla bean. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the milk; discard the vanilla pod.
- 3Wipe out the saucepan and return the milk to the pan over medium heat.
- 4Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat the eggs with the sugar for two minutes, or until they are light and lemon colored. Add the heated milk in a stream, whisking gently.
- 5Return the egg-milk mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon, about four to six minutes. Do not let the mixture come to a simmer or the eggs will scramble.
- 6Quickly add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk to the pan to stop the cooking. Transfer the mixture to a pitcher and chill for at least two hours or until very cold.
- 7To serve, divide the eggnog among four chilled glasses, stir in a dash of brandy or rum, if desired, and top with a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chai Eggnog
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.9
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 110.0 mg
- Sodium 108.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: