Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Bon Appetit Best of the Year issue January 2006. These are small, dainty cookies ideal for teatime! Egg-free, too!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (my addition)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 3⁄4 cup toasted almond, finely chopped (NOT almond flour!)
- Toast almonds and set aside to cool. Once cooled, finely chop.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, using electric beaters, cream the butter, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, both the extracts, spices and salt.
- Beat in the flour, then stir in the ground almonds. (Tip: I found it easier to stir in the ground almonds with lightly buttered hands.).
- Use your hands to roll the dough into tablespoon size balls. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet 2" apart.
- Bake the cookies until light golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool the cookies 5 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Place the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar in a large bowl. Working in batches, gently roll several hot cookies in the sugar. Cool again on wire rack.
- Once all cookies are cool, gently roll all of them again in the powdered sugar and serve.