Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Talk about comfort! This is so warming (hard to think about it in the summer)--BF and I made this and drank it over the winter break.
- 591.47 ml water
- 4.92 ml cardamom
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 2 slice fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 158.51 ml milk
- 19.71 ml sugar
- 14.78 ml loose black tea (or tea bags)
- Put the water in a saucepan, add the spices, and bring to a low boil.
- Turn down the heat and let simmer for 4 to 10 minutes.
- Add milk and sugar and bring to a heavy simmer.
- Add tea, turn off the heat, and let steep for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Strain into two cups and serve hot.
Very good!! I omitted the black peppercorns (didn't have any) & subbed ground ginger for the fresh, & ground cloves for whole. It was great & I'll definitely be making this again!!
This is great! I added a few cardamon pods and extra peppercorns and cloves plus honey. I have a cold and this has really helped with my breathing. Thanks for a nice tea!! I'll be making this in very large batches!
My kids really love this homemade chai. I slightly crush the peppercorns and cardamon as I add them to the water, and often substitute 2 teaspoons honey for the sugar. It's fine with soy milk, also.