Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A nice winter warmer upper.
- 2 cups water
- 2 individual tea bags
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1 whole clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- whipped cream
- In a small saucepan, combine water, tea bags, cinnamon stick, cardamom, clove and ginger.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk; return to a boil for 1 minute. Strain; discard tea bags and spices.
- Stir in sugar until dissolved. Ladle into mugs.
- Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon.
Yumm! I did this slightly differently as I used Rice Dream instead of milk and find it separates if heated so I just added it at room temperature at the end. I also used tea bags I find strong so added them after I steeped the spices for the five minutes. This is a sweet chai but I liked it using dark brown sugar. The whipped cream and cinnamon was the nice touch that made it different and what I was wanting on top of my chai.
It seemed like I was adding a LOT of milk(I used for a double recipe 2c half & half, 3c skim milk) but it was excellent!! DD loved this also. Very nice on a wet, dreary day. I used 2TB loose darjeeling instead of tea bags. I doubled everything but the sugar. I'm thinking the recipe as is might be on the very sweet side. Made for My 3 Chefs 6/08. I'm making more tomorrow.... :)