Growing up, my aunt ChaCha cooked 6 nights a week for 6-8 people. She used traditional Cuban recipes, made EVERYTHING from scratch and bought everything fresh. This is my all time favorite dish.
- Boil rice, lemon zest, vanilla & cinnamon stick in water until rice is soft.
- Add milk, salt, and sugar.
- Cook over medium flame stirring occasionally until it thickens (about 1 hour).
- Turn over into a Pyrex-type dish & powder with cinnamon.
- I leave zest & cinnamon stick in the dish and serve around it as it continues to put out flavor.
- Serve warm or chilled.