Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
mochi dumplings with salty, meaty filling. something my grandma makes
- 16 ounces of sticky-rice flour (3 elephant brand)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- banana leaf, cut into about 3-inch x 9-inch pieces, cleaned with hot water and dried, can be stored in the freeze
- 2⁄3 cup shrimp, cooked
- 2⁄3 cup pork, cooked and cubed
- 2⁄3 cup jicama, diced
- 2⁄3 cup shiitake mushroom, rehydrated and diced
- 1⁄3 cup chives
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- stir fry the shrimp, pork, jicama, shitake mushrooms, chives, and chicken bouillon together until it is cooked and tastes good to you. or feel free to make your own filling of whatever ingredients you like.
- mix flour and water till it comes together like firm playdough. it may not stay together fully when kneaded. use as much water as necessary, it make take more or less than two cups.
- separate into balls a little larger than a golf ball. i made about 18 in one batch.
- press each ball into a bowl and fill with 2-3 big teaspoons of filling.
- using pressure to keep the filling in, close up the ball and compress it to make sure it's compact and sealed.
- take a banana leave and coat 6" of the 9" with oil.
- coat each ball in oil.
- roll the ball up in the oil covered leaf, oil side first.
- fold the bottom in, making three folds, and starting with the edge first.
- place in a steamer with boiling water.
- steam for 20 minutes on boiling water till tops are puffy and wrinkly.