You'll think you hit the jackpot when you take a bite of these babies. Happily healthy with whole wheat flour and other nutritious goodies, put your money on these muffins for breakfast or as the perfect anytime snack. Recipe is from the La Leache League International cookbook "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" and credited to Cathy Grant (Richmond, British Columbia), Marion Bueche (Gray, Saskatchewan) and Margaret J. Donner (Kitchner, Ontario). Prep time does not include time to grate carrots.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄3 cup honey or 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup oil or 1⁄3 cup melted butter or 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix together dry ingredients- flour, soda, powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice.
- Mix together wet ingredients- honey/brown sugar, egg, buttermilk/yogurt, oil, vanilla and the carrots, raisins and nuts.
- Stir the wet and dry ingredients together until just moistened.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.