Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mexican style BBQ grilled hamburgers with adjustable heat. You can broil or pan fry and sub your favorite toppings.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chunky salsa (mild, hot, or extra spicy)
- 1⁄4 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (plain or jalepeno)
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 slices tomatoes
- leafy green lettuce or finely shredded cabbage
- Combine beef, salsa, tortilla chips, chili powder and salt and shape into 4 patties.
- Place the top halves of the buns, cut side up in a shallow metal baking pan (I use disposable foil pans) top with cheese and cover with foil.
- BBQ grill the burgers 5 minutes per side or until juices run clear.
- After the first 5 minutes, place the bun pan over indirect heat for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- To assemble, place the burgers on the bun bottoms, top each with 1 tbls sour cream, 1 tomato slice, lettuce or cabbage and the other bun halves cheese side down.
I really don't like giving a recipe a three star rating,but I'm afraid I have to with this one.I followed the directions as written,except I had to make a substitution for the monterey jack cheese.I used a 4 mexican cheese blend,but I really don't think that was the problem.There was just "something about them"that we didn't care for.But, I liked the fact of using sour cream as a condiment,that was different.Maybe this buger will be someone else's idea of a good burger,but we just didn't care for it.
Wonderful Lorac! I made these last night with tortilla chips that I had leftover from a get together. I made them exactly as stated only I added some fresh minced garlic, seasoning salt and pepper in with the ground beef, and made these on my indoor grill (I also grilled the buns on both sides). I have never thought of topping off burgers with sour cream, but they were just delicious! I'll make this again for sure. Thanks for suggesting this recipe Lorac, we loved it!...Kitten:)
We scaled these burgers to half, just two buns. They turned out great. Used hot salsa and no fat sour cream. I liked the way the top of the buns were done, I did them in the oven and did the hamburgers on the broiler and used iceberg lettuce. We very much enjoyed them and will make them again, nice bite and very tasty. Thanks for sharing.