Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
Found this recipe on appetiteforchina.com - check it out, there are some beautiful pictures of these! Anyway, the poster said that they're used in place of high energy snacks, like trail mix.
Top Review by Kate S.
We love these. Our kids love these. Our guests always love these. They are so simple. I do them in the slow cooker when I'm going to cook a Chinese meal, then cool and save the sauce to use again the next time.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 black tea bags
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 pieces star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns (optional)
- dried mandarin orange peel, in strips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put eggs in a medium-sized pot with enough water to cover the eggs.
- Bring water to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove eggs from heat and allow them to cool a bit before handling(running them under cold water does the trick quickly.).
- Take the back of a knife and crack eggs evenly all around.
- Return eggs to the pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring liquid to boil again, then simmer for 1 to 3 hours, longer for a more intense flavor and color, adding water if level gets too low.
- Remove from heat, and serve as a snack or addition to rice or noodles.