Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From a favorite magazine: DelciousLiving. Scapes are known in the US as 'garlic whistles'. Standard cucumbers or lemon cucumbers can be substituted for the English cucumber if you prefer. Very fresh, organic ingredients recommended!
- 9.85 ml lemon zest
- 1 bunch fresh garlic scapes or 1 small bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- 226.79 g fresh goat cheese (chevre)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium English cucumbers, washed, unpeeled
- loose leaf red leaf lettuce or arugula
- lemon slice
- Mix the lemon zest and herbs into the goat cheese.
- Add a sprinkle of ground black pepper, to taste.
- Allow mixture to rest 30 minutes, covered, so that cheese can absorb the flavors.
- Slice the cucumbers into 1/8" disks.
- Spread a bite-size portion of the cheese mixture between two slices of cucumber, making a mini-sandwich.
- Serving suggestion: To serve, I placed the "sandwiches" on a platter with a bed of loose leaf red lettuce and a little bit of arugula. Garnish platter with lemon slices if desired.
- Servings are estimated.
Really nice finger food. I had over 1 1/2 lbs garlic scapes from the farmers market so wasn't sure how much constituted 1 bunch. I only had 4 oz chevre so after asking the recipe poster's advice went with 3 scapes. I think two would have been enough for my taste but maybe I just needed to get the scapes chopped more finely (I just thinly sliced). I had a standard cucumber not English but it worked fine. Served on red lettuce from the garden. Thanks CG for a new experience for me! :)