Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Spiced beans make a fantastic accompaniment to curry. Of course you dont have to use runner beans, any green beans will do.
- 300 g runner beans
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- String the beans then diagonally slice them into 4cm lengths.
- Cook in a pan of boiling salted water for exactly 1 minute, then drain.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the cumin and mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute, then add the ground spices and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 1-2 minutes until softened and a little pulpy.
- stir in the beans, ginger, sugar, salt and lemon juice and simmer together for 3-4 minutes until the beans are tender.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and serve.