Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Easy to cook chicken curry. marinate the chicken for three hours before cooking. Then cook for just 40 minutes. Simple and simply delicious. N.B. if you like your curry HOT add an extra teaspoon of chilli powder towards the end of cooking. The recipe for the curry powder is in this cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, in bite sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 lemongrass, stem bruised
- 1⁄2 inch fresh gingerroot, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons roasted curry powder (see recipe)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds, crushed
- salt or 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 5 fluid ounces water
- Grind the ginger and garlic to a paste.
- Mix together the chilli powder,curry powder, turmeric, pepper,salt and lemon grass. Add the chicken cover and allow to marinate for 3 hours.
- Heat the oil over medium heat and fry the onion, green chillies, curry leaves, and the ginger and garlic paste. When the mix is golden add the mustard and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, water, vinegar and salt cover the pan and cook over low heat till the chicken is tender.
- Serve with plain boiled rice and a vegetable side dish.
This is a very tasty dish--one of the best recipes for curry I've found on the site. I add the entire marinade to the pan with the chicken, otherwise you lose a lot of the spices. The sauce is dryish, spicy, and tangy. Without adding the marinade to the pan/pot, this would be very dry unless you added water/wine. I also add a couple of hot chilis to this mix. Very tasty.