This shrimp ceviche "cocktail" was orginated by Rick Bayless. I was a bit nervous about it at first but it is GREAT. I definately recommend using the jicama rather than the cucumber but both are good. This is best made the day it is served.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 lb shrimp (ideally 41/50 count to a pound)
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegary mexican bottled hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 1 cup diced peeled cucumbers (or 1/2 cup of each) or 1 cup jicama (or 1/2 cup of each)
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- tostadas or tortilla chips
- 1Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice.
- 2Scoop in the shrimp, cover and let the water return to the boil.
- 3Immediately remove from the heat, and pour off all the liquid.
- 4Replace the cover and let the shrimp steam off the heat for 10 minutes.
- 5Spread out the shrimp in a large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool completely.
- 6Peel the shrimp and devein if you wish.
- 7Toss the shrimp with the remaining 1/2 lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
- 8In a small strainer, rinse the onion under cold water, then shake off the excess liquid.
- 9Add to the shrimp bowl along with the cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber and/or jícama and avocado.
- 10Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon.
- 11Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
- 12Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini glasses, or small bowls and garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime.
- 13Serve with tortilla chips if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ceviche De Camaron
Serving Size: 1 (1120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.6
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 294.4 mg
- Sodium 740.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 34.0 g