Recipe by mollypaul
You can use any flaky cereal to make these delicious cookies. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon almond extract or 1⁄3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 3 cups corn flakes (any flake cereal will work)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F and lightly grease baking sheet.
- Beat egg whites until they begin to stiffen; sprinkle salt over the top and add sugar gradually, beating constantly.
- Mixture should be stiff enough to hold its shape by the time all the sugar is incorporated.
- Beat in flavoring and fold in remaining ingredients.
- Drop by teaspoons on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until golden, depending on size of cookies.
- Remove from pan as soon as you take them from the oven.