Recipe by SJG3483
Adding a crunchy cereal improves on this American classic. Don't forget the vanilla ice cream!
- 2 cups honey bunches of oats cereal (or other cereal)
- 1 cup firmly backed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 4 medium granny smith apples, peeled,cored,and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients and stir well.
- Add butter and stir until combined.
- Toss 1 1/2 cups of mixture with apples and put in a greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Drizzle the juice over the mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Add nuts or raisons to remaining cereal and sprinkle over apples.
- Bake uncovered for 20 more minutes or until apples are tender and the top is browned.
- Serve warm- goes great with ice cream.