Recipe by YummySmellsca
A better pastry dough, good for butter tarts, pecan pies and anything sweet!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1 lb lard (recommended ( Tenderflake)
- 1 egg, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the flour, salt and lemon rind in a bowl.
- Cut in the lard with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mix resembles a light, floury crumble.
- Mix the lemon juice and egg yolk in a measuring cup and top with enough ice-cold water to the 1-cup line.
- Whisk the egg white until foamy.
- Make a well in the flour mixture.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the flour mixture and gently fold 7–12 times by hand.
- While the mix is still a bit floury, add in the whipped egg white and gently press, fold, and press again until all the flour combines into a paste-like ball.
- If you’re making butter tarts, divide the dough into 2 balls, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour before using.
- If you’re making 10" crusts, divide it into 3 before wrapping and chilling.