Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this from the Central Market website! Really excited to try it sometime soon! (Central Market is an absolutely AMAZING place, kind of like Whole Foods but bigger and better...sadly only in Texas!)...cooking time includes 2-hour cooling period. and preparation time is just an estimate.
- 2 cups fresh black-eyed peas (hulled)
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 3 -4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, split
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Pick through beans and remove any that are damaged or spoiled.
- Also, remove any remaining hulls.
- In a large saucepan bring water to boil and add peas and garlic.
- Cook until peas are tender.
- Rinse peas under cold water to stop cooking process.
- Drain thoroughly, remove garlic, and combine with green pepper, onion, oil, vinegar, pepper flakes and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (more is better).
- Transfer to a relish dish and serve with a slotted spoon to allow liquid to drain.