Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
The New Orleans classic!! Make ahead and chill.
- 4 medium celery ribs, finely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup drained giardiniera, finely chopped (Italian mixed, pickled vegetables)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup pitted green olives, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 loaf round soft French bread (10-inch diameter, about 1 pound) or 1 Italian bread, cut horizontally in half (10-inch diameter, about 1 pound)
- 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked ham
- 6 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 6 ounces thinly sliced genoa salami
- In a medium bowl, combine celery, giardiniera, parsley, olives, olive oil, black pepper, and garlic. Set aside.
- Remove a 1" layer of soft center of bread from both halves to make room for the filling. On bottom half of bread, spread half of the olive mixture; top with the ham, cheese, salami, and remaining olive mixture. Replace top half of bread; press halves together.
- Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Cut into 8 wedges and serve.
I can only put 3 stars because I ordered the olive salad from the Central Grocery. One thing that is left out from this recipe is the capers - I would suggest adding at least 2T for the amount of salad that this makes. Also, the Central Grocery version has lots of dried spices in the mix, I'm thinking basil & oregeno for sure (the ingredients just list "herbs and spices). I don't have the ingredients in front of me, but I'm pretty sure there is some vinegar in the mix also. When I made the sandwich and wrapped it, it still leaked out of the wrap - it is very messy with the oil dripping out of it. If I do it again, I'm going to try to drain the salad more. Oops, almost forgot, the salad has black olives in it too!
This may be a good Muffuletta, but it doesn't have mortadella, therefore it is not Central Grocery's recipe.
This is a great recipe. Great for tailgating as everything is already put together.