Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I use a traditional sauce used in central american to roast chicken or turkey with. Add only enough sauce to cover the chicken because if you add too much sauce to the roasting pan, you will end up braising the chicken in sauce instead of roasting it.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 whole large chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 chopped white onion
- 1 chopped celery
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Put all veggies, tomato sauce and chicken bullion in blender and blend until smooth.
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Season chicken with salt, pepper and cumin. Place in a roasting pan and using your hands, rub butter in the pockets underneath the chicken skin. Pour enough sauce over chicken to cover it completly but not so much that it pools up at the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake about 1 hr and take foil off. Baste chicken with pan juices and let cook about 20 more minutes or until chicken is brown and cooked thru (usually about 170-180 f. with a meat thermometer).
I tried this and it was awesome! One thing that might be confusing is that the recipe ingredients are listed out of order. And the directions do not mention how to use the mayo (I assumed that you add it to the blender with the rest of the items). These 2 things might be a bit confusing for the novice cook. Either way, great recipe!