Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Florentine Love Knot Cookies :There are many regional variations of these sweet fried confections. The best-known Carnival pastries are Cenci (the word means rags), whose many aliases include Frappe, Chiacchere (gossips), Lattughe (lettuce leaves) and Nastrini (ribbons), while they are also called the more poetic "Lover’s Knots." They are very pretty when carefully made.. To make a batch you'll need:
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Make a fairly stiff dough with these ingredients, kneading it thoroughly, and adding more flour if it comes out too soft. Flour it and let it rest, covered, for about an hour.
- Then roll it out into an eighth-of-an-inch-thick sheet, and use a serrated pastry wheel to cut it into strips 4 inches long and two and one half inches wide. Make a cut down the middle of each cencio (so as to obtain two strips joined at the ends), twist the side strips without breaking them,
- Fry them in hot oil or lard, and dust them with confectioners sugar when they’re cool. This recipe is sufficient to make a platterful. Should the dough have formed a crust while it sat, knead it again before you roll it out.
- My Mom also drizzles honey before the confectioners sugar.