Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
"In ancient Ireland, apple trees were one of three things that could only be paid for with other living objects--money could not exchange hands." From Celtic Folklore Cooking, by Joanna Asala, where I got this recipe from. Holidays associated with this recipe: Lughnasadh, Samhain, Mabon, harvest suppers, Esbat celebrations, name days/birthdays, Yule.
- In a large saucepan, combine cider, brown sugar, and nutmeg.
- Place cinnamon, allspice, and 1 teaspoon of whole cloves in cheesecloth and tie with string.
- Add spice bag to cider mixture; bring to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove spice bag and discard.
- Serve cider in mugs with a clove-studded orange wedge in each. Cinnamon sticks also add a decorative touch.