Recipe by Mme M
A dish to be relished with the freshest possible ingredients. From Celtic Cookery by Iris Price Jones.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 3⁄4 lb cabbage
- 8 spring onions
- 1⁄4 pint milk
- 4 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and cook till tender.
- Finely chop the cabbage and cook in a little boiling water till tender.
- Chop the spring onions, the green and the white both, and boil them gently in the milk.
- Drain the poatoes, then mash them, seasoning well, using plenty of white pepper (start with 1/2 teaspoon).
- Add some salt.
- Beat the onions into the potato until they are soft and fluffy.
- Melt 2 oz of butter and toss the cabbage in it.
- Blend this into the potato mixture until all is a pale green fluff.
- Dish it up as it is, or it can be fried on both sides in butter or bacon fat until crisp and brown.
- Delicious served with bacon.