Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A recipe one of my students did as an assignment. I promised her I would make it when I got home, it was so fast and easy and had really ordinary things in it. It is a nice recipe that makes a kind of apple coffee cake. Would be great for breakfast. She suggests serving it with ice cream or creme anglaise. I like it right out of the pan.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup creme fraiche (maybe even heavy cream or milk) or 3⁄4 cup sour cream (maybe even heavy cream or milk) or 3⁄4 cup yogurt (maybe even heavy cream or milk)
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, more if you use sour cream
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 apples, diced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the dry ingredients, reserve 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Spray or butter and flour a large glass pie dish.
- Pour in batter. Add diced apples on top. I didn't peel them, but I was being lazy. Celine suggested making pretty patterns on the top of the batter with the apples. I just tossed them on, then pushed them down slightly.
- Sprinkle with the reserved tsp of cinnamon.
- Bake at 375° in a preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until done.
- Eat warm or cold.
Wonderful! My neighbors are French and made something very similar for us and served with a selection of cheeses, snacks, and cocktails. Recipe worked very well. I used creme fraiche and highly suggest doing so, it adds a wonderful flavor. Also suggest peeling the apples and chopping in small pieces so they cook evenly. This is a clafouti, not a typical cake or coffee cake, excellent for breakfast though I served it for dessert. Thanks for sharing the recipe!