Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My Portuguese neighbor and friend passed away two years ago. I ate these but never made myself. This is her recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (Splenda might work just as well and save calories. If you make it this way, please let me know if it)
- 9 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 12 small firm but ripe strawberries, rinsed, stemmed and dried well
- Combine sugar, water, lemon peel and juice, and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until syrup reaches soft ball stage (234 degrees). Remove fro heat.
- Beating constantly, pour syrup in egg whites.
- Continue beating until meringue is cool and very thick.
- For each sighs, spoon a heaping tablespoons of meringue onto a buttered baking sheet.
- Top with a strawberry and spoon on just enough more meringue to completely cover and seal in the berry.
- Bake in hot oven 450 degrees for about 3 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.