Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My Portuguese neighbor and friend passed away two years ago. I ate these but never made myself. This is her recipe.
- Combine sugar, water, lemon peel and juice, and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until syrup reaches soft ball stage (234 degrees). Remove fro heat.
- Beating constantly, pour syrup in egg whites.
- Continue beating until meringue is cool and very thick.
- For each sighs, spoon a heaping tablespoons of meringue onto a buttered baking sheet.
- Top with a strawberry and spoon on just enough more meringue to completely cover and seal in the berry.
- Bake in hot oven 450 degrees for about 3 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.