Recipe by Derf
Something different as a side salad or an appetizer. Should be well chilled. From Canadian Diabetes Association.
Top Review by Ms Samara
This was pretty good. The directions are a little confusing though-- the liquid specified was not nearly enough for the quantity of celery. I ended up simmering in water, draining, and then adding the vinegar mixture for a final steam. I didn't bother with any of the ingredients after the lettuce, but I bet the black olives would be good.
- 6 celery hearts or celery
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley (use fresh if you like, about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- lettuce leaf
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 2 tablespoons black olives, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and cut celery hearts in half lengthwise.
- Cook in lightly salted water 7 minutes until tender crisp.
- Add vinegar, water, lemon juice, parsley, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Simmer 4 minutes longer.
- Allow to cook in liquid, drain well, place each piece on a lettuce leaf.
- Sprinkle each serving with capers and pimento and black olives, if using.