1/1 Photo of Celery, Stilton & Walnut Soup
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This soup sounds so quintessentially English to me with its classic combo of ingredients. Recipe source: Creative Cooking Vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock or 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups blue Stilton cheese (plus extra to garnish) or 1 1/2 cups dolcelatte (plus extra to garnish) or 1 1/2 cups gorgonzola, crumbled (plus extra to garnish)
- 2 tablespoons walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- celery leaves, chopped (to garnish)
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan and saute the shallots, celery and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until softened.
- 2Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- 3Gradually stir in the stock and milk, and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and add the crumbled blue Stilton cheese and walnut halves.
- 5Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 6Stir in the yogurt and heat for 2 minutes without boiling.
- 7Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Transfer to a warm soup tureen or individual serving bowls, garnish with chopped celery leaves and extra crumbled blue Stilton cheese, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Celery, Stilton & Walnut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.8
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 84.4 mg
- Sodium 869.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 16.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: