Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping, looks like a nice crunchy salad for the summer. Recipe by Russ Parsons in 2/17/07 LA Times, but I added times for toasting the walnuts. Please read the reviews, some tweaking is needed.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1 bunch celery (bottoms and leafy tops trimmed)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine shallots and vinegar in small bowl and set aside.
- Toast walnuts on baking sheet in 350-degree oven for 8-20 minutes or over medium heat for 3-5 minutes in small skillet. When walnuts become fragrant, remove from heat. Do not scorch walnuts. Set aside.
- Slice celery on bias, making exaggerated V-shaped pieces. Place in large serving bowl.
- Whisk together shallots, vinegar and oil in small bowl. (Do not add salt and pepper at this time; many blue cheeses are very salty.).
- Coarsely chop walnuts and add to celery.
- Pour over 1/2 to 2/3 of dressing and toss to coat well. Add more dressing as needed; salad should be moistened, but there shouldn't be leftover dressing in bottom of bowl.
- Add blue cheese and toss lightly to combine. Taste and add salt, if needed, and pepper to taste.