Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, looks like a nice crunchy salad for the summer. Recipe by Russ Parsons in 2/17/07 LA Times, but I added times for toasting the walnuts. Please read the reviews, some tweaking is needed.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1 bunch celery (bottoms and leafy tops trimmed)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Combine shallots and vinegar in small bowl and set aside.
- Toast walnuts on baking sheet in 350-degree oven for 8-20 minutes or over medium heat for 3-5 minutes in small skillet. When walnuts become fragrant, remove from heat. Do not scorch walnuts. Set aside.
- Slice celery on bias, making exaggerated V-shaped pieces. Place in large serving bowl.
- Whisk together shallots, vinegar and oil in small bowl. (Do not add salt and pepper at this time; many blue cheeses are very salty.).
- Coarsely chop walnuts and add to celery.
- Pour over 1/2 to 2/3 of dressing and toss to coat well. Add more dressing as needed; salad should be moistened, but there shouldn't be leftover dressing in bottom of bowl.
- Add blue cheese and toss lightly to combine. Taste and add salt, if needed, and pepper to taste.
Such a simple and refreshing salad, I ate half the bowl before dinner. I might advise that a cook consider using the freshest celery leaves and tossing them in this salad, as well.
I have 6 different types of vinegar in my cupboard, sherry vinegar was not one of them. I've used white wine vinegar, white balsamic, and unsweetened, unflavored rice wine vinegar in this recipe, all with fantastic results!
Yummy! I scaled the recipe back for one and used a little less oil. I used red wine vinegar instead of sherry. Thanks Kate!
Celery, blue cheese and walnuts are always a winning combination! This was no exception! The salad was easy to make and stayed nice and crunchy. Goes great with grilled meats. I added extra vinegar. Next time a may throw in some apple chunks just for some fun! Thanx for sharing!