Recipe by velorutionista
Celery root is the homeliest of vegetables, but you'd never know it once it's all dressed up in this! Here's a super-easy and relatively quick way to prepare this great veggie!
Top Review by Kasha
Fast and easy, especialy because you have to work so fast so your shredded celery root doesn't discolor. Put everything you need out in advance. Much better than packaged celery root remoulade we buy in the grocery store and much cheaper too. Nice with grilled meat.
- 1 celery root, scrubbed and trimmed (aka celeriac)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or a milder oil if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and lemon juice in large bowl.
- Working quickly, peel and quarter the celery root. Shred in food processor. Combine with lemon juice and salt, tossing to coat well. Let sit about 20 minutes. The lemon juice will tenderize the celery root, and keep it from browning as you make the dressing.
- Bring about a cup of water to boil in medium saucepan; set a medium bowl over pot (to make a double boiler).
- Add mustard and boiling water to the bowl, whisking till well combined.
- Drizzle olive oil into mustard mixture, whisking all the while. Do this slowly and whisk well so the dressing doesn't "break".
- Dribble vinegar into mustard mixture, still whisking constantly; add salt.
- Remove dressing from flame and let cool slightly.
- While dressing cools, rinse shredded celery root in a fine strainer. Squeeze out any excess moisture and return to large bowl (dry out the bowl first, though).
- Toss celery root with dressing till well coated. Fold in mayonnaise gently. Stir in parsley.
- This keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days, and gets more and more tender as it sits.