Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is delicious .. I love the tang of celery root and mashed with potatoes it is a dish that will go well with a Turkey dinner. I served it with garlic prawns - nice combination. I did not have fresh dill so used 1 tsp dry diil weed. A red onion adds a bit of color. The vinegar in the water will keep the root white it has a tendency to darken. Recipe originally from Cooking Club of A merica with a tad of tweaking by me. You may make this a "Do Ahead" recipe by completing the recipe then place potato mixture in a casserole and reheat in a 350 oven for 25 minutes - loosely covered with foil.- do not close the foil around the casserole just let it sit over the potatoes. Make lots the leftovers make lovely patties dipped in crumbs and browned on a pan
- 3⁄4 lb russet potato, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄4 lbs celery root, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (use lite if you wish)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Place the potatoes, celery root onion & vinegar in a saucepan, cover wi th water, bring to a boil and simmer until the vegetable are cooked and tender. (apprx.25 minutes).
- Drain the veggies, stir in the brandy, mash the vegetables. Leave them slightly chunky.
- Stir in the sour cream & dill. Season with salt & Pepper.