Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a bit different from the usual lasagna. It's like a combination of a lasagna and a gratin. No pasta in it so I am assuming it is good for low carb diets.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Peel the celery root and cut it in half to make it more manageable.
- Using a mandoline, electric mandoline, or begetable slicer, cut into paper thin slices.
- In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil.
- Add the lemon juice, 3 TBS of salt and the celery root, stirring to prevent from sticking.
- Cook until tender but firm, about 7 minutes.
- DRain thoroughly, carefully pressing out any excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the tomato sauce and cream, and warm over low heat.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Butter a gratin dish.
- layer 1/3 of the drained celery root on the bottom of the gratin dish.
- Top with 1/3 cup of the tomato sauce and 1/3 cup of the cheese.
- Repeat two more times until all the celery root, tomato sauce, and cheese have been used.
- (The dish can be prepared to this point several hours in advance. Bring to room temp before baking) Place in center of the oven and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Serve immediately, cut into thick wedges.