Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a fabulous recipe courtesy of Emerile Lagasse, and do your self a favor and make this . It's an eating experience! Invite your friends and have a BBQ and these fries. If you have trouble finding the celery root (it's really ugly) just ask for it.
- 2 lbs whole celery root, peeled, and cut into french fry style pieces, just not too thick
- 1⁄2 cup flour (seasoned with 1 tsp. Essence,recipe follows)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (seasoned with 1 tsp. Essence)
- salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup snipped chives (optional)
Remoulade Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup prepared mayonnaise or 1 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard (or any grainy mustard)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- salt and pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Combine all essence ingredients and store in an air-tight jar or container.
- For remoulade sauce: Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.Set aside.
- For the celery root French fries:.
- Lightly toss the celery root in the flour.
- Dip into the egg mixture, removing any excess.
- Turn into the bread crumbs, coating both sides completely.
- In a large saute pan, heat the vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the celery root fries, carefully, as not to over-crowd the fries.
- Fry on one side until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn over and continue frying until done, about2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper-lined plate.
- Spoon a small amount of the remoulade sauce onto the plate and pile the fries in the center. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parmesan and chives.
- Note: Prep. time does not include making the Essence.