Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was a grand prize winner in a recipe contest cookbook I found. It is yummy and a great substitute for potato casserole. It can easily be made ahead. It goes well with beef, pork, chicken and fish. I have made this many times and it always gets rave reviews.
- 4 medium celery root, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 11 ounces packaged cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, s, sliced thin, plus
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam celery root until tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a food processor combine steamed celery root, 4 tablespoons butter, sour cream, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Pulse and procees until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup of the green onions.
- Spoon puree into a baking dish. Dot top of casserole with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and both cheeses.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until cheses are bubblky. Serve hot.
This dish is basically a cheese and salt delivery vehicle, which is GREAT NEWS for the low-carbers in our household! Seriously, it was delicious. I added 2 cups of spinach toward the end of the steaming time with the celery root. I also grated in the zest of a lemon. I omitted the butter and sour cream and green onions. It was awesome. It won't win any beauty contests, but it tastes great. Maybe a few spigs of parsley and some lemon slices would appropriately gussy it up!
This was an interesting dish. The celery root looked like potatoes but had a fresher taste. Next time I make this dish, I will decrease the cream cheese by 1/2. It was a little too rich for me but my husband and children loved it.