Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Fennel makes this soup very fragrant and flavorful.
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 head celery, chopped (include the leaves)
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, and very thinly sliced (reserve 2 tablespoons of feathery top)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, as needed, to taste
- In large covered saucepan simmer potatoes in chicken broth and wine until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet over medium heat, sauté celery, fennel slices, and onion in olive oil until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Mash potatoes right in the broth mixture in the saucepan with a masher.
- Stir in celery-fennel mixture. Heat through. Season with pepper and salt.
- Chop reserved fennel tops and use to garnish each serving.
A great way to use fennel - it really showcases its flavor. I used just a half tablespoon of the oil. It was a really good soup.
it was very easy and very cheep to make, i didnt use any salt (i made it for my diabetic grandma) but it didnt realy need any, it tastes great, the fennel adds a great taste! i loved it