Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Imagine the aroma of home made cream of celery soup simmering on the stove. Simple, easy and rich in flavor.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs celery ribs, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 -4 dashes hot sauce
- white pepper
- celery leaves (for garnish)
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter, add celery, onions, and garlic.
- Cook over medium low heat until soft.
- Add flour and cook 1-2 minutes over low heat.
- Add chicken broth and bay leaf, bring to a boil reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, puree (in small batches) in a blender or processor.
- Add cream, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Reheat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Garnish with celery leaves.
Lovely recipe! I've made it twice and everyone's loved it, even the non-celery lovers. The second time I made it, the brand-new carton of cream I bought was lumpy (dontcha hate that!) so I used an 8 oz. package of cream cheese (cubed)and just made sure it was all melted before I served. OMG! It was fabulous!!
Very nice. I will use this recipe when I have a bunch of celery on hand. You wouldn't believe how much celery goes bad at our house. Now I have the perfect fix for that. We ate about half of this recipe and I froze 3 small containers for lunch or dinner later in the month. Next time, I would add some red pepper flakes because we like it hot. Thanks again, Lorac.
This was really really good.I made Celery soup before and was not impessed. I did add 2 carrots(cleaning out my crisper.). I'm so happy I found your recipe. Loved it and will make it again;I added some Old Bay seasoning. Thanks for posting. Rita