Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Imagine the aroma of home made cream of celery soup simmering on the stove. Simple, easy and rich in flavor.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter, add celery, onions, and garlic.
- Cook over medium low heat until soft.
- Add flour and cook 1-2 minutes over low heat.
- Add chicken broth and bay leaf, bring to a boil reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, puree (in small batches) in a blender or processor.
- Add cream, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Reheat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Garnish with celery leaves.
Lovely recipe! I've made it twice and everyone's loved it, even the non-celery lovers. The second time I made it, the brand-new carton of cream I bought was lumpy (dontcha hate that!) so I used an 8 oz. package of cream cheese (cubed)and just made sure it was all melted before I served. OMG! It was fabulous!!
I made half portion today. Also added 2 carrots. For me personally, the soup would be better with milk instead of cream and then with grated strong cheddar on top. I use Scottish seriously mature white cheddar cheese. If you want to make it light, then - milk (maybe even skimmed) and no cheese. Thanks for the recipe, I was looking for a way to eat more celery.
WOW! This is a great soup. I followed closely. Substituted where I needed to. I did not have 2 onions so I made up for it with more garlic. I happened to have had homemade chicken stalk, so that was a bonus. Another change I made to keep my low calorie low fat diet was to use no cream, but to add 1/2 cup fat free milk and then in the simmering stage I slowly stirred in 1/2 nonfat sour cream. I'm telling you'all this was the creamest dish I have allowed myself to have as much as I wanted. It turned out to be a go to vegetable for several days. I have a handheld blender thing that I used to blend in the pot, and mine looks just like the picture "Parsley" posted. Thank you. My Best Friends like it as well.