Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Perfect for a cold night!!
- 1 large onion
- 1 large russet potato
- medium carrot
- 10 medium-length stalks celery, washed well
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups , lightly-flavored great tasting, vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 cups cooked wild rice, brown rice, barley or 2 cups wheat berries
Celery leaf pesto (optional)
- 1 cup lightly packed celery leaves
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Chop the onion, potato, carrots, and celery into pieces that are about 1/2-inch or smaller. Do your best to cut everything roughly the same size, this will keep cooking time across the ingredients somewhat uniform. You should end up with about 2 1/2 cups of chopped celery.
- In a large thick-bottomed soup pot over medium high heat combine the olive oil, onion, potato, carrots, celery and a few big pinches of salt. Saute for about ten minutes or until the onions and celery soften a touch and expel some water.
- Stir in the garlic and add the stock. Bring to a simmer and let cook for another 10 minutes or until the celery, carrot and potatoes are just cooked through - resist the urge to over cook them into mush. Stir in the rice a few minutes before the potatoes and carrot are cooked though.
- Process ingredients for the celery pesto in food processor for about 30 seconds. Ladle soup into bowls and top with the celery pesto. Enjoy!