Recipe by Lorac
Celery is the star in this dish instead of being a supporting character! Sometimes, I use roughly crushed chow mein noodles instead of crackers and just enough butter to crisp the almonds.
Top Review by Bun
What a wonderful way to use leftover celery (which I always seem to have). Didn't have any Ritz crackers so I used saltines (leftover from making saltine candy - YUM!). I also used low fat cream of mushroom soup. Even with the modifications this tasted great - nice and crunchy with great flavor. Thanks for this unusual and easy recipe!
- 3 cups celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup crushed Ritz cracker
- 2 ounces slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook celery in salted boiling water for 7 minutes and drain.
- Combine with water chestnuts and soup, pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- In a sauté pan, melt butter, add cracker crumbs and almonds and stir until well mixed.
- Sprinkle over celery mixture and bake for 30 minutes.