Recipe by Dancer^
My friend gave me this recipe, we loved it, a little crunch and cheese, what could be better.
- 4 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 cups celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil in large pot.
- Add cabbage, celery, salt& caraway.
- Boil 5 minutes, drain well.
- Sauce: melt butter, add flour& cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk in stream, stirring continuously till sauce is smooth& thick.
- Add beer& continue stirring till foam disappears.
- Cook till heated through.
- Add cheddar, stir till melted.
- Season sauce with salt& pepper.
- Transfer to buttered 2 quart casserole and pour sauce over.
- Heat at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Can add chunks of cooked ham or corned beef to vegetables.