Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An English dish found more often in restaurants than on the family dinner table.
- 1 head celery
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 fluid ounces single cream (table cream)
- 1 ounce fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat oven to 200C/ 400F/ Gas 6.
- Reserve a few celery leaves for garnish, then cut the sticks lengthways into thin strips.
- Cut each strip into 2-inch lengths and put into an ovenproof serving dish.
- Mix the allspice, garlic and cream together and season to taste.
- Pour over the celery.
- Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the celery is tender.
- Serve hot garnished with the celery leaves.
Very nice recipe and very easy. I would use more cream next time as there wasn't quite enough for the celery. The allspice works really well. Very English recipe.
We could not eat this. It was very bland and the texture was soggy making it unpalatable to us. I'm sorry.