Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have been craving the cool crispiness of fresh celery. Now teamed with creamy chunks of tangy blue cheese, it's so simple and so pleasing. Serve with rice pilaf or polenta cutlets. Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook. Enjoy! Recomended cheeses are Maytag, mellow Danish, and Buttermilk Blue.
- 8 -10 celery ribs, cleaned
- 3⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled (about 3 oz. cheese)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the celery crosswise into 1/2" thick pieces to make 4 cups sliced.
- Place it in a pretty bowl and sprinkle in crumbled blue cheese.
- Add the salt, pepper, and olive oil and toss well.
- Serve chilled. Enjoy!
I'd skip the salt. Bleu cheese is plenty salty. Fresh organic celery from the farmer's market. I included the hearts and leaves for that extra dose of pizazz and red onion for color. Special mention: Rogue Creamerys 'Crater Lake' award-winning bleu cheese. Amazing! Reviewed for ZWT #6.
I also skipped the salt, but I added garlic powder, onion powder and dried cranberries to offset the saltiness with a touch of sweet, so delicious!!
This is a great salad. I've been looking for ways to use up celery before having to throw it out, this recipe is a good one for that purpose. I really like blue cheese, and would never have thought of making a salad with the main ingredient being celery. I cut my celery into smaller pieces, and used a cup of blue cheese. I also used extra coarse sea salt, simple and so delicious!