I took charge of dealing with the celeriac we get from our CSA. A web search led me to Alanna Risse's fine blog with the following posted recipe: http://alannarisse.com/blog/celeriac-split-pea-soup/ After tweaking this slow cooker recipe, we've arrived at a more pea-based, somewhat sweeter, thicker revision of the above Celeriac & Split Pea Soup recipe, which is simple, flavorful, and stands on its own. It is one we make a couple of times a year.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 celeriac, peeled to the white, diced
- 1 1/2 cups dried split peas
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 5 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 -4 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth or 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Make certain to peel the celeriac down to the white.
- 2In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook them until they start to get golden / translucent and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir often to cook them evenly and prevent burning.
- 3Spray non-stick cooking spray into the slow cooker.
- 4Put the onions and garlic and all the other ingredients into the slow cooker, at least 5 quarts in size.
- 5Mix thoroughly before starting the slow cooker.
- 6Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- 7Blend the final product before serving. I use a hand blender.
- 8Note: Take into account the sodium / salt in the vegetable broth / stock when adding salt to the soup. The celeriac is also slightly salty, so adding salt may not be necessary.
- 9Note: This soup is a fine place to use up older carrots, which have lost some of their sweetness. Adding a diced apple and some molasses (1 - 2 tbsp) seems to compensate well.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Celeriac & Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.1
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 262.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: